Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Tax update, updated

...Spent all day at a tax update seminar. Key concept this year seems to be "phasing in the phaseouts". Speaker's best line: "...now I don't know how often you get on the phone and call the people who wrote these revenue rulings, but every time I do they're really happy to talk." (I know, I know. If this was her best, imagine what the rest of the day was like. And I didn't have my 8 and 10 year old with me to show me how to find the games on the Palm Pilot.)

Tax tip: Beginning in 2007 you will generally no longer be able to write off those donations of used socks and undergarments. Unless you claim more than $500 and get a written appraisal. Go figure. (Not intended as tax advice. Consult your own tax advisor about that old underwear.)

No comments: