Monday, October 24, 2016

Wrote this last week....

Work today, since I am taking part of the coming week off.

Left mid-day to go to a memorial service for an elderly friend of mine.  I met her when I was newly married and we first moved to Whittier.  She had just retired from a career as a school teacher/librarian.  That was 25 years ago.

The speakers (her sons and grandkids) emphasized her patience, good humor, and enjoyment of life.  She was in hospice care, and had chosen a couple of pieces to be read at her funeral.  One was a lovely poem about a garden, which I am not locating on the interwebs.  It is not either of these:

My Mother kept a Garden...
God looked around his garden.....

Or anything similarly mawkish.  It was about roots, and branches, and bore passing resemblance to the poem I want read at my own funeral, which is Edwin Muir's One Foot in Eden.

Ah well, what matter that there is one fewer decent, kind, hard-working tolerant person in the world.  We have too many of those anyway. 

No comments: